In 1948 when Brandeis University first opened its doors its library was small and non-competitve with Ivy League universities. A group of eight women undertook to remedy this situation and formed the Brandeis University National Womens Committee (BUNWC). BUNWC has grown into one of the largest, most successful "friends of a library" organizations in the world with over 39,000 members in 76 chapters across the country. Located in Waltham, MA. the BNC connects the university to its members and their communities through programs that reflect the ideals of social justice and academic excellence.
In 2008, in recognition of the fact that there are now Men's Groups affiliated with local chapters of BUNWC, the organizations name was changed to the Brandeis National Committee (BNC).
As part of the BNC this Los Angeles Chapter (BNC-SFV) provides financial support for Brandeis University and its libraries. In addition, BNC-SFV has activities for their members including tours, trips, and special interest groups.